What if my child support order says to pay child support after 18 if the child attends college??

Asked 12 months ago - Temple, TX

He is not taking college classes in high school and his mother says he is going to go to college in the fall doesn't she have to prove he is enrolled for me to pay through the summer? I think she is just saying that cause her story keeps changing weekly. If he goes to police academy is that considered college credits and enrollment? He graduates in May of this year and my payments through the AGO will stop and I don't want to send her any more money than I have to as I do not even have visitation with my child because of her actions he will not see me. Legally do I have to continue child support payments without proof that he is enrolled for the fall at a college?? Thank you so much for your help.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Bobby Dale Barina


    Contributor Level 14
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Most child support orders do not include a college provision. If your does then you should request proof of enrollment and to see the number of hours completed after the semester is concluded.

    Bobby Barina's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Barina... more
  2. Vicki Elaine Wiley

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Without looking at your decree this is difficult to address. Please consult a Family attorney in your local area. Many attorneys, like myself, give a free initial consult and can give you clearer guidance based on all the specific facts of your case. Take all documentation with you for review by any attorney you contact, you will get a better assessment of your possible options and outcomes.
    If you agreed to support through college, you may be able to arrange to pay it directly to school in form of tuition or dorm fees. A local attorney can help you come up with options.

    This answer is general information which does not establish any attorney-client relationship between the person... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,770 answers this week

2,784 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,770 answers this week

2,784 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary