Skip to main content

What if i was not present on deportation hearing do to not knowing

Las Vegas, NV |

ins lost my case 4 years reopen it and was not notifed of the new date i was living in another state at the time when they reopen my case i thought there was a statue of limitaion on it well the send my hearing date to prior address in another state even thogh i put a change of address that maybe they lost too what should i do i have reenterd 3times ilegaly all of my family lives in us have no family in mexico i was a permanent alien since the age of 7 is there any hope i can fix my situation or status

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You should file a freedom of information act request to obtain a full copy of your file. Then you can see exactly what happened with your case and possibly reopen the case if you were not properly notified of a hearing and you has informed the Court properly of your new address.

  2. It is likely that an Order of Deportation In Absentia was issued. If you followed all the procedures in notifying DHS of our new address and your hearing notice was still sent to the wrong address, you might be able to reopen the case and seek relief in Immigration Court. What is concening also are the multiple times that you reentered illegally as you claim. Seek help from an immigration lawyer who is honest and well versed in removal proceedings to assess how you can possibly "fix" your immigration satus.

    Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. If you can prove that you put in a change of address, and they ignored it and sent your notice to the wrong place, you should be able to reopen. But there may also be a question about why did you wait so long to reopen. Talk to an experienced lawyer to get a more detailed explanation. Good luck!

  4. I agree. If you informed the Court of the change of address, you can try to file a motion to re-open

    It is not easy, I would contact a lawyer

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  5. You should contact a local attorney and discuss.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics