What if I reported this to immigration? Marriage fraud for green card...

Asked 9 months ago - Boston, MA

I was a victim of marriage fraud for green card. The guy used me just for the green card. HE BLACKMAILED me into marriage and stupidly I thought it was still for real. We divorced before the 2 years. I wanted an annulment but he threatened me so I had to get a divorce instead. The reason he blackmailed me into marriage is because he came here on a tourist visa with the intent of immigrating and marrying me and adjusting status. When I said I did not want to marry him, he told me I better do it or he will report me because I planned to marry him too on a tourist visa so I would be responsible as well. What if I reported all this to immigration? Will he be deported? He is applying with waiver.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He must demonstrate that the marriage was bona fide when it was entered into. You can report him to ICE, but you will have to show more than that the marriage did not work out after two years.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all... more
  2. Gunda Johanna Brost


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In theory, you can report this to immigration but be careful not to incriminate yourself - they may see you as a guilty party to the marriage fraud as well, since you willingly entered into a marriage knowing that the motives may not have been solely for love and companionship (IF I understand your question correctly - it is ambiguous because on the one hand you state "I thought it was for real" but then talk about being blackmail and pressure. You were under no obligation to marry someone and could have sought protection from the abuse and duress, especially as a citizen who is likely more aware of the laws and more sophisticated in organizing assistance than most non-documents individuals would be. Finally, I am not sure as to the motives you have for reporting it now. If it is for revenge or because he was not fair to you, I would suggest you move on with your life and try to make better choices in the future with your partners. Use it as a learning experience. I strongly believe in karma and that his time to pay back will come, at which point you can smile - if you still care either way, at that point. Talk to a counselor and perhaps an immigration attorney to get more perspectives as I am sure you may not like what I have advised you here, but it is my honest advice taking into consideration what is ultimately best for YOU as well.

    This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be... more
  3. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Brost. Reporting this may cause you to be investigated as well. I would encourage you to discuss the details of this matter privately with an immigration attorney.

    Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on Avvo.com are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.
  4. Paul Christopher Hannaford

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . They will likely investigate and ask him about your allegations and if he cannot rebut them then he will not be able to remove his conditions but be careful not to incriminate yourself as if they think you knowingly enter into marriage fraud that could cause some issues for you.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,360 answers this week

3,280 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,360 answers this week

3,280 attorneys answering