What if I mistake the time of my court date

I am not sure whether my court date is at eight thirty or one thirty what happens if I show up and was wrong?

Roseville, CA -

Malosack Berjis

Malosack Berjis

Litigation Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

Anything from having your case dismissed to just being 'scolded' by the court to nothing. It really depends on the type of hearing, in my opinion. Why don't you check on the court's website or, worst case, call the court, to verify your hearing time? Best of luck to you.

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Litigation Lawyer - San Marino, CA

You don't indicate the type of proceeding. Is it a trial? A motion? Civil or criminal? Generally speaking, you can ascertain a court hearing date by calling the court clerk or by searching the court's website if you have the case number. If you miss an important hearing or the trial, the judge can rule against you.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Litigation Lawyer - Fairfax, VA

Your case could be dismissed or a default judgment issued against you. Hard to say on the slim facts you provided.

Robert Harlan Stempler

Robert Harlan Stempler

Litigation Lawyer - Woodland Hills, CA

It truly depends on the nature of the proceeding what the court might due for non appearance. Also, it may depend on whether the other side appears or is also mistaken. When a litigant is unsure of the time or date of an appearance, most Superior Courts have that information available 24/7 online, typically for free if you enter the case number or a party's name. Please see below to my Avvo legal guide to getting superior court case information online.

Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
www.StopCollectionLawsuits.com
www.facebook.com/SoCalConsumerLawyer
Twitter: @RStempler

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Jose, CA

Why risk an adverse action against you? Many courts have online calendar info, or Id try calling the court or even going down there at 8:30 just to be sure.

Ralph F. Guerra

Ralph F. Guerra

Foreclosure Attorney - Lake Success, NY

If you show up at 830 and it's scheduled for 130 then you will have to wait. If you show up at 130 and it was set for 830; if it is a criminal case, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest; if it is a civil case you risk a default judgment. All you have to do is call the clerk's office to confirm your court time.

Related Advice