What if I mistake the time of my court date

Asked almost 2 years ago - Roseville, CA

I am not sure whether my court date is at eight thirty or one thirty what happens if I show up and was wrong?

1. Malosack Berjis

13

Answered . Anything from having your case dismissed to just being 'scolded' by the court to nothing. It really depends on the type of hearing, in my opinion. Why don't you check on the court's website or, worst case, call the court, to verify your hearing time? Best of luck to you.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

10

Answered . You don't indicate the type of proceeding. Is it a trial? A motion? Civil or criminal? Generally speaking, you can ascertain a court hearing date by calling the court clerk or by searching the court's website if you have the case number. If you miss an important hearing or the trial, the judge can rule against you.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

11

Answered . Your case could be dismissed or a default judgment issued against you. Hard to say on the slim facts you provided.

4. Robert Harlan Stempler

8

Answered . It truly depends on the nature of the proceeding what the court might due for non appearance. Also, it may depend on whether the other side appears or is also mistaken. When a litigant is unsure of the time or date of an appearance, most Superior Courts have that information available 24/7 online, typically for free if you enter the case number or a party's name. Please see below to my Avvo legal guide to getting superior court case information online.

Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
    www.StopCollectionLawsuits.com
    www.facebook.com/SoCalConsumerLawyer
    Twitter: @RStempler

5. Robert Bruce Kopelson

7

Answered . Why risk an adverse action against you? Many courts have online calendar info, or Id try calling the court or even going down there at 8:30 just to be sure.

6. Ralph F. Guerra

3

Answered . If you show up at 830 and it's scheduled for 130 then you will have to wait. If you show up at 130 and it was set for 830; if it is a criminal case, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest; if it is a civil case you risk a default judgment. All you have to do is call the clerk's office to confirm your court time.