Skip to main content

What if I can't afford to pay my outstanding parking tickets all at once, am I still able to reinstate my license?

Chicago, IL |

My driver's license has been suspended for a few years because of unpaid parking tickets totalling to over $4000.00. How am I able to reinstate my license on a temporary basis so that I don't lose my job? Is there such a program or offer?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. No. You have to work out something with the city before Secretary of State can help you

  2. My understanding is that the Secretary of State has a strict requirement for outstanding parking tickets prior to reinstatement of the driving privileges.
    You may call the office and inquire about a payment plan if the SOS offers one at the moment.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  3. Call the city or suburb that gave you the tickets. Each one has different rules and some may accept a down payment with a payment plan. But each locality has different policies. Only after the hold is lifted by the city will the SOS permit you to dive. It is not possible to obtain a permit from the SOS unless the city lifts the hold and notifies the SOS .