Skip to main content

What if ex/ wife doesn't want kid anymore?

Jamaica, NY |

ex has a new child and a new bf.Divorce signed by not final by judge. she has custody in divorce. i have a lawyer for the our seven year old daughter "hit" her little brother. giving me a week prep time to get her or "I wont see her again". I don't have no support system, live far from her school, will likely receive no child support in return, i sometimes overnights with no system setup to watch her, my apartment is a studio no time for larger one. what should i do, she txt me this recently

i sometimes work overnights

Attorney Answers 3


First, take physical custody. Then go to an attorney and talk about filing a motion in supreme court to modify the agreement.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Take custody of your child, there are no other options, unless you don't want the child. The other things will fall into place. Contact the department of social services, they can assist you with daycare, both day and night. Take vacation from work in order to get everything in place. Speak to your attorney and ask for a conference or have your attorney make a motion to modify the custodial provisions of the agreementbased on the change in circumstances. Act fast for your child.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


What do you think she means by "you won't see her again?" Do you think she means she'll take off with the child, or do you think she means to harm the child? If the latter, you may wish to consider taking custody of the child AND calling ACS. You may need to file a motion in the divorce cases to modify the settlement.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics