What if a lawyer charges money to write a letter on your behalf to a defendant that is 100% counterproductive and then refuses

Asked 12 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

to refund the money? A letter full of false and inaccurate statements coming out of pure fantasy of the lawyer (and lack of study of the case/notes taking during consultation etc...) and with laws and regulations citations that give the defendant every right to keep doing whatever they are doing (basically telling the defendant is right) which was preposterously enough the only reason why the plaintiff asked for the help of a lawyer in the first place? If the lawyer refuses to refund the money, which are the most important organizations to file a complaint?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . State Bar of California mandatory fee arbitration section.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  2. Neil Pedersen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You have a fee dispute with this attorney. Most county bar associations have a Client Services department where you can get information on commencing a mandatory fee arbitration against the attorney. The State Bar of California also has a mandatory fee arbitration program. Make contact with one of these organizations and proceed.

    If you prefer, you can also sue the attorney in court seeking a declaration that no money is owed (if you have not paid yet) or a judgment seeking return of the money already paid.

    Unless you can prove that the attorney's conduct fell below the standard of care of attorneys in the community, and that such conduct actually caused you to lose substantial rights (i.e., money) then it is unlikely you can make a claim for malpractice. Furthermore, given the amount of money involved, attempting to prove malpractice is impractical.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more
  3. Jennifer L. Ellis


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . There are two ways to deal with this.

    1. Write to the attorney, explain your concerns, and ask for a refund. Sent it via certified letter.
    2. Contact the Fee Arbitration committee. This committee handles fee disputes. You can find more information here

    Good luck.

    For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,539 answers this week

3,175 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,539 answers this week

3,175 attorneys answering