What if a cop lied on the ticket he gave you

Asked almost 3 years ago - Monroe, MI

I am from MI and I was driving in Ohio after dropping my son off at a new apartment we could not find. I was lost and it was so dark and almost midnight. This car kept tailing me and I was wondering why. Then a car coming towards me flashed its lights, so then I knew my brights were on and dimmed them. About a minute later the car behind me a police officer pulled me over. Harrassed the hell out of me. MI has new drivers licenses and he asked me rudly "when did you get this?" Why are you in Ohio? Just on and on. Took him 20 minutes to right me a "failure to dim lights" But I had. When I went to court to dispute the ticket in Port Clinton, I was told that if I did, a trial date would be set and I would have to come back. Pay court cost. Now who would believe me, so I paid the ticket. $100.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Barry Franklin Poulson

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Sounds like the matter is fully resolved. Failure to dim is on the long law enforcement list of possible drunk driving clues. You say above that you dimmed after he flashed his lights. He must have been looking for something, and being out late often makes officers curious.

    We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I... more
  2. Andrew Charles Lapres

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I'm sorry that the officer wasn't more cordial to you, but try not to take it personal. He might have been kinda bummed that you weren't drunk! As far as the ticket goes, if you had to be reminded by another driver to dim your high-beams, it means that you hadn't dimmed them when you were supposed to (before they effected another driver's vision). There is no law that requires anyone to be respectful of others, although sometimes I think that we could use it. However, on the other hand, it doesn't sound like you would've won on the ticket anyway. Tough break. Have a good day.

  3. Daniel P. Hilf

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You should refer your question to an Ohio attorney who is familiar with Ohio law, and the local practices and procedures of the Ohio Courts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,772 answers this week

3,080 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,772 answers this week

3,080 attorneys answering