What i should do to get free lawyer to help me of my divorce?

Asked almost 2 years ago - 02122

I have been living in mantel and physical abused by my spouse in our marriage.I cam from far way,no family here accept someone who brought me her,that is my wife but she change now.
The last time she abused me physicaly was when she asked my to be agree with her to get divorce and i didn't agree so she get really really angry and she tried to kill me,....she hited my by car,it was so bad and she bring me to the emergency room in hisptal.She ask my for divorce because she is not happy she said but she brougth me here an we have been in relationship for 7 years.She go back and forth to my country to be with mee she did pice corp volonture 2 times....... I can't afford lawyer,i have no money to pay for it but i need lawyer becauseo i don't know about law and i am still work on my Englis.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert J McCarthy Jr

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Here is a link to finding free or reduced cost civil legal services in Massachusetts. Hope this helps. http://www.masslegalservices.org/directory/

    None of the information or materials posted above is intended to constitute legal advice. Viewing this does not... more
  2. Anton R. Reinert

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation. In addition to the other lawyer's suggestion, you may want to contact the Boston Bar Association or Massachusetts Bar Association and ask for pro bono (free) legal representation. Also, many courts have a free lawyer of the day program to give guidance.

    Advice provided is of a general nature to provide guidance. Divorce law is state specific. One should always... more
  3. Terri D. Leary

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . First, you should be protected from the abuse. If she hit you with her car, you should call the police and make a report about it--especially because you ended up in the hospital. I don't know if you are still living in the same household, but you could also get a restraining order to prevent her from engaging in further abuse.

    It would help to know what community you are living in, so that you may be directed to resources of legal assistance in your area. If you don't have children, there are still issues with immigration, etc. I do not handle family law (divorce) but if you want some more information about the other issues, please contact me and I'll try to steer you toward some resources. Good luck.

    Providing users with information is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. However, if in... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now