What happens with visitation if my ex gets arrested?

Opelousas, LA |

My ex had supervised visitation (his mother supervised) now he has been arrested and I refuse to bring my child to jail to visit because I believe it's not a safe place to visit. My ex's mother insist I still bring my child to her home but visitation isn't for her so I shouldn't have to. What happens now that her father is arrested? do I still bring her to her grandmother or do I tell her no and I don't want my child at a jail?

You need to go in and modify the visitation. Yes courts do sometimes allow jail visitation. And no you do not have to bring the child to the grandmother unless she has a specific grandparent visitation order.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Thank you for your help and I don't know if the reason he is in jail matters but he was arrested for stabbing another person and violating his parole I'm not sure if he will be charged with anything as of yet but is for sure being held or a parole violation.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

you are welcome

I agree with attorney Raddatz. However, if the children want to see the grandmother, even though there is no court order in place allowing her visitation... maybe a little time would not hurt. If you feel its in their best interest. She did supervise and has probably gotten used to seeing them... so again, only if you feel it is in their best interest. (Not legal advise... just two cents) :-)

I don't mind my daughter seeing her grandmother, she loves her grandmother but her grandmother is extremly pushy and also doesn't bring her back on time and my concern is my daughter always misses holidays with me and our family because her grandmother does stuff in the morning or early afternoon and we do stuff in the late afternoon early evening and so I let her go the night before and ask for her to be brought back usually by three or four in the afternoon and she is never back in time to enjoy stuff with me or our family she will be brought back at 9pm with my phone calls being ignored and it's not fair to her or us. I am considering not letting her go for easter but it's her father's weekend and I was unsure if I had to bring her to her grandmother.

I would just like to spend the holiday with my daughter for once with no problems and my family for out of town would like to see her also.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody