What happens with death benefit of my husbands life insurance?

Asked over 1 year ago - Camarillo, CA

I have power of attorney over assets for my husband . He passed away last week I put the policy in my name in 2011 . I was 1990s beneficiary I recently read my power of attorney and it said I did not have the power to change ownership . But I did have the power to change beneficiaries What happens now with the death benefit Thank you Barbara Nash

1. Kelvin P. Green

4

Answered . I agree changing ownership and changing beneficiaries are two separate things...

2. Kristin E. Hobbs

3

Answered . As the other attorneys stated, ownership and beneficiaries are distinct. Submit the death certificate to the life insurance company and make a claim for the benefits. If they refuse or deny the claim, then you should contact an insurance attorney. Good luck with everything.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Assuming you were the beneficiary upon his death-I would just submit a death certificate to the insurance company asking to receive a beneficiary check.
    Provide your mailing address with request.
    Very sorry for your loss. If you were the beneficiary upon his death-the ownership question should not make a difference.