What happens when your friend steals from the store but you weren't in the store when it happens?

Grand Haven, MI |

It was me my friend my boyfriend and his friend as well as my daughter. My boyfriends friend had stole some things from meijers and had walked out as we were getting the car ready. We did not know e ole anything. As he was walking out the lady at the cash register had watched him and got on the phone he stopped at the car to say he was going to a friend's house that lved in the back of the store. As he walked away the lady had come out and I could hear here on the phone saying "he turned the corner and started running" Then started to walk back inside. We had got in the car and left. She didn't seem interested in us just him. But what I'm worried about is that she had seen him come by the car. I have a baby and other stuff I need to deal with rather than this so should we should b worried?

I'm sorry. None of us can read minds. We don't know what the clerk thinks she saw. Avoid going places with this "friend" in the future. Do not discuss this with the police or others. See link below on talking to police.

I would be surprised if you are in any trouble but it is possible, just very unlikely.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

People in your situation are often arrested because the police assume everyone was involved in the criminal enterprise (one person is the good eye, one person is the getaway driver, etc.). However, if you weren't arrested on scene or pulled over shortly thereafter, it is less likely they will come after you now. Not impossible, but less likely for sure.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

It doesn't appear you did anything wrong from what you wrote, but you could eventually get into trouble. If you do, please hire a criminal defense attorney you feel comfortable working with asap. Don't wait, it will only hurt your lawyers ability to do his/her job in the best fashion possible.

The longer the period of time that you don't hear anything, the more likely that nothing will come of this.

The only concern you should have is whether or not the police and prosecution believes that you somehow aided and abetted in the commission of the crime. Aided and abetted in this instance means that you allegedly knowingly assisted in the crime by being the getaway driver. If you are contacted by the police, I would recommend that you consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer if you can afford to do so.