What happens when you violate a pfa in pa?

Asked over 2 years ago - Reading, PA

my wife and i moved in together after 6 months,we thought the pfa was over with, however ive been charged with violating it. she dropped the pfa, but i still have to go to court. i have no criminal record,what can happen to me

1. Christopher Barrett Fay

3

Answered . Something is not right with your facts. How do you know the PFA was vacated? Was there a hearing resulting in an order that dismissed it? You should contact the court and get copies of all orders in your case so that you can be sure of the procedural history.
    Also, who reported you with a violation of the PFA? Something isn't making sense with your story, as minimal as it is. If your wife doesn't want a PFA and doesn't want you to be charged with a violation, it is hard to see how you got in this situation.
    What type of violation are you charged with and specifically what actions are purported to be the violation? All of this information would be helpful.
    Having no prior criminal record may or may not be relevant depending on the violation you are charged with. For instance, a violation could be found under custodial provisions or support provisions. Many first time PFA violations without any aggravating circumstances involve penalties such as probation, but even those can have very serious consequences. Also, more serious sanctions are available to the court (see the previous post, for example).
    You should get your procedural history straight along with copies of the orders and consult with an attorney to understand your legal rights and the penalties you could be facing.
    Good luck,
    Chris

2. Catharine I. Roland

2

Answered . An abuser who violates a PFA can face criminal contempt charges for the violation in addition to charges for any crime(s) he commits during the violation. After a hearing, s/he can be found in contempt and placed in jail for up to six months and/or be fined between $300 and $1,000).**

** 23 Pa.C.S.A. ยง 6114(b)