What happens when you inadvertently omit information on your n-400?

I was arrested twice in my country during political activities. I stated this on my asylum and I485 forms. They granted both based on that. When filling my form N400 I focused on my US arrest and inadvertently didn't include the political arrests. The N400 interviewer asked me if I had been arrested before I came to the US. I said yes. He asked how many times. I answered correctly. It still didn’t realize I had omitted that info on my N400 and he didn’t ask me why. He told me I would hear from them within 30 days after my file is reviewed. Going home it dawned on me that was the reason he asked about my previous arrests. A USCIS rep told me to send a letter with the omitted info. I worry about the outcome of this. I wonder if it will count heavily against me. What could possibly happen?

Silver Spring, MD -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Yes, you must reveal the omitted information.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

Immigration Attorney - Baltimore, MD

Definitely send a letter (certified mail) to update your answers. Timely retraction is important. Explain it was inadvertent and not meant to deceive. Seeing that you are in the Baltimore district, I am available to assist. If you get an intent to deny, please contact me.

Lalita Haran

Lalita Haran

Immigration Attorney - Carmel, IN

You do have contradictory information with them now. SO if you want to follow the USCIS advice it would not be a bad choice. At least you are showing you are honest which you must. Unless you disclose now, I am not sure how else you could prevent a bad outcome before it is too late. Best Wishes.
Lalita Haran
13295 Illinois st ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174
www.haranlaw.com