What happens when you inadvertently omit information on your n-400?

I was arrested twice in my country during political activities. I stated this on my asylum and I485 forms. They granted both based on that. When filling my form N400 I focused on my US arrest and inadvertently didn't include the political arrests. The N400 interviewer asked me if I had been arrested before I came to the US. I said yes. He asked how many times. I answered correctly. It still didn’t realize I had omitted that info on my N400 and he didn’t ask me why. He told me I would hear from them within 30 days after my file is reviewed. Going home it dawned on me that was the reason he asked about my previous arrests. A USCIS rep told me to send a letter with the omitted info. I worry about the outcome of this. I wonder if it will count heavily against me. What could possibly happen?

Silver Spring, MD -

Attorney Answers (3)

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Yes, you must reveal the omitted information.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

Immigration Attorney - Baltimore, MD

Definitely send a letter (certified mail) to update your answers. Timely retraction is important. Explain it was inadvertent and not meant to deceive. Seeing that you are in the Baltimore district, I am available to assist. If you get an intent to deny, please contact me.

Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no... more
Lalita Haran

Lalita Haran

Immigration Attorney - Carmel, IN

You do have contradictory information with them now. SO if you want to follow the USCIS advice it would not be a bad choice. At least you are showing you are honest which you must. Unless you disclose now, I am not sure how else you could prevent a bad outcome before it is too late. Best Wishes.
Lalita Haran
13295 Illinois st ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Featured Legal Guides

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.