Skip to main content

What happens when you file a police report for someone stealing your check and forging your name to get money?

Detroit, MI |
Filed under: Divorce

My spouse separated from me and stole and forged my name on some checks to get money from me on an account they were not authorized to access.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The police turn the report over to the Prosecuting Attorney who decides whether or not to press charges against the accused. Depending on the amount, nature of the crime and the work load of the Prosecutor, this type of case may fall to the bottom of the pile.

You may want to investigate recovering the money from your spouse in a domestic case (divorce or separation) as that will probably be a more reliable way to proceed. Good luck.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer