What happens when the insurance from a car crash pays me for medical bills and i dont turn it over to the chiropractor?

Hesperia, CA |

i was in a car crash sometime ago and the insurance has issued payment directly to me for the chiropractors therapy. Do i go into collection for what the medical bill was or what happens. i did not have a lawyer for this case it was settled only by me.

You owe the doctor for his services.

I agree with Attorney Lundeen. The chiropractor didn't treat you for free. He rendered services and expects payment. The insurance has paid you money for his treatment so they've fulfilled their obligation to pay your medical expenses. You can do whatever you like with the check the insurer sent you, but you owe the chiropractor.

Not legal advice as I don't practice law in California. It's just my two cents on the facts you describe in light of general principles of law. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer who holds California licensure.

The medical provider has provided services to you. You are legally obligated to pay the medical provider for the services that were provided to you. The chiroptactor may well bring a suit against you in court. Would you walk into a store and steal something off the shelf? I hope your answer is no. The only difference here is that you have stolen a service, and the funds intended to pay for it. Before you click the thumbs down below because you do not like my answer, how would you feel if you had spent years in college in order to obtain a degree and license to practice chiropractic services, you had student loans to pay back, and you spent thousands of dollars to buy office equipment and to set up an office, and then your patient who you treated stole your services and the insurance money?

Yes. You are responsible for these bills and can be sued by the Chiropractor for not paying it.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.