Skip to main content

What happens when someone plots to kill their own family member for money?

Chicago, IL |

I have seen cases on TV where people have killed a family member in order to get their inheritance sooner. Say a girl and her boyfriend plot to kill her parents and they get away with it (no one knows that he was her bf or they don't know that he is responsible) and she gets the money but later, it is discovered or suspected that she was involved,what are the steps for freezing the accounts or getting the money back? Would she have to officially be charged in order for the money to be ceased or frozen?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If it is found that a beneficiary has intentionally caused or arranged the death of the policy holder or grantor, steps would be taken to terminate or cancel the disbursement of proceeds. If this is an actual situation, you need to report this to the police immediately. If this is an actual situation and you are personally involved, you need to remain silent and speak to a criminal defense attorney immediately.

  2. Accounts can be frozen by court order. If you're trying to freeze the killer's funds, talk with an attorney. If you're the killer or the killer's accomplice, consider hiding the money and talk with an attorney. If you're a script-writer, call me as I have a few good ideas for such a story but want to discuss my royalties for same.

  3. Both attorneys offer sound advice. Most states like PA have something called a Slayer's Act which prevents such persons from benefiting from their crime.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is <> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

  4. I willl add that a very public forum like this is not the best place to discuss these "facts" or ask such a question.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics