What happens when someone plots to kill their own family member for money?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I have seen cases on TV where people have killed a family member in order to get their inheritance sooner. Say a girl and her boyfriend plot to kill her parents and they get away with it (no one knows that he was her bf or they don't know that he is responsible) and she gets the money but later, it is discovered or suspected that she was involved,what are the steps for freezing the accounts or getting the money back? Would she have to officially be charged in order for the money to be ceased or frozen?

1. Wes Cowell

6

1

Answered . Accounts can be frozen by court order. If you're trying to freeze the killer's funds, talk with an attorney. If you're the killer or the killer's accomplice, consider hiding the money and talk with an attorney. If you're a script-writer, call me as I have a few good ideas for such a story but want to discuss my royalties for same.

2. Steven J. Fromm

7

1

Answered . Both attorneys offer sound advice. Most states like PA have something called a Slayer's Act which prevents such persons from benefiting from their crime.

3. Judy A. Goldstein

4

1

Answered . If it is found that a beneficiary has intentionally caused or arranged the death of the policy holder or grantor, steps would be taken to terminate or cancel the disbursement of proceeds. If this is an actual situation, you need to report this to the police immediately. If this is an actual situation and you are personally involved, you need to remain silent and speak to a criminal defense attorney immediately.

4. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

3

Answered . I willl add that a very public forum like this is not the best place to discuss these "facts" or ask such a question.