What happens when one party in a lawsuit assigns its interests to another party in the middle of the action?

West Palm Beach, FL |

My wife and I are partners in a general partnership. The partnership and my wife and I personally are all plaintiffs in a civil lawsuit. Part of the case is now on appeal. The appeal court ordered the partnership to get an attorney. We have represented ourselves so far. For various reasons, we don't want to hire an attorney. We want to assign whatever interest the partnership has in the action to ourselves, or maybe even one of us. Can my wife and myself immediately step into the shoes of the partnership in the middle of the lawsuit? Would we have to refile it? Or what?

If you are not going to hire an attorney, you will need to learn the law and the proper procedures. You should get to the local law library and do research on these topics. In my opinion it is not a good thing to refuse to obey any court orders, and try to side step them.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,