What happens to you if there is a Rule to Show cause against you, however you were never served.

Princeton, IA |

Iowa holds jurisdiction, however, I now live in a state that will not serve someone that does not have a court case when it comes to child custody matters. I do not have a case here, therefore I cannot be served. I only know about the court date because my x has a big mouth. His attorney tried to get me to accept in on my own, but I'm not stupid. There is no possible way that I can be served without going to Iowa, which I will never do again. What do I do?

I suggest you contact an attorney in the jurisdiction where the court appearance is to be held to find out the local procedure, and possibly to appear on your behalf to inform the court that you were not properly served. Proper service is important, but sometimes litigants lie to the court and produce false Affidavits claiming service was proper. A local attorney can give you specific, confidential advice. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.