What happens to you if there is a Rule to Show cause against you, however you were never served.

Asked over 1 year ago - Princeton, IA

Iowa holds jurisdiction, however, I now live in a state that will not serve someone that does not have a court case when it comes to child custody matters. I do not have a case here, therefore I cannot be served. I only know about the court date because my x has a big mouth. His attorney tried to get me to accept in on my own, but I'm not stupid. There is no possible way that I can be served without going to Iowa, which I will never do again. What do I do?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I suggest you contact an attorney in the jurisdiction where the court appearance is to be held to find out the local procedure, and possibly to appear on your behalf to inform the court that you were not properly served. Proper service is important, but sometimes litigants lie to the court and produce false Affidavits claiming service was proper. A local attorney can give you specific, confidential advice. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,093 answers this week

3,291 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,093 answers this week

3,291 attorneys answering