Skip to main content

What happens to someone who doesnt follow court orders?

Escalon, CA |

My ex-wife continues to disregard court orders for our children, what can i do as the father to have this stop?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    Yikes! It depends on the judge. But when the violation is serious or repeated after several warnings, the court can (and will) seriously consider changing custody to the other parent. In LA County, judges take violations of custody orders quite seriously.

    By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

  2. if someone doesn't follow court orders the proper thing to do is file contempt against the person. If not in family law the next time the parties appear the court may adjust the orders. If they are egregious then contempt is the proper route. Contempt is quasi-criminal so this is not for the self represented. I have yet to see someone self represented do it by successfully.

    This is just my opinion and not a comprehensive answer. You assume the risk because this answer may not apply to your situation depending on the facts.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics