What happens to old people without relatives and has no money or ability to care for themselves?

Blackfoot, ID |

For an old couple, who has no money(not much of social security income) or any relatives to look after them, what happens to them when they are no longer able to take care of themselves?

.

1. They have Medicare, right? What local assistance is available (public or charitable)?

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. A question like this illustrates how much of a difference it makes to see an answer from local counsel with actual experience assisting families in matters of this type.

Medicare provides payment for medical and hospital care, but very little in custodial care (except for the 100 days of nursing home, if necessary post-hospitalization). For persons who have little income and assets, Medicaid can provide a wide variety of services from home-based to assisted living to 24-hour skilled care. The program is administered by the Department of Health and Welfare. Often facilities to which low-income people have been referred for care will assist in the application process. The Medicaid and Self-Reliance Program caseworkers at Health and Welfare do an excellent job making sure that the elderly and disabled receive proper care.

Best wishes for a favorable result, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.