What happens to my records when a (psych) doctor goes out of business?

Goleta, CA |

I saw a psychiatrist a couple of years ago. I tried contacting their office last week to find they are out of business. What happens to the medical records?

Thank you all for your responses. I will check with the Medical Board here in California to see if they were required to be put in storage. Thanks again.

The doctor may have put them in storage, he could have scanned them, he could have taken them home with him, or he could have destroyed them. Try to track down the doctor via the internet. If no luck, you can hire an investigator. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

They will be in storage, so contact the medical board if you have a problem obtaining them.

The doctor is required to put them in storage where they can easily be accessed if necessary.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

Recommended articles about Personal injury