What happens to money owed me on my cars sold at auction while I was in jal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ontario, CA

While I was in jail 2 of my vehicles were sold at auction. After paying off my tickets, towing, towing storage etc. the balance was supposed to be given to me. How do I go about getting this money now that I am free?

1. Andy I Chen

Answered . Never been through that situation myself, but here's my guess. First, are you sure there was money remaining after paying for tickets, towing, etc? Cars depreciate quickly and often do not fetch as much as you would think at auction. Second, if there is money left over, I would begin by asking the civil division of your county sheriff's department what they do with surplus proceeds left over from an asset auction. The sheriff's department probably uses a professional auction company, but the civil division should be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps.

Andy