What happens to J1 status after marriage to a US citizen?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Arlington, VA

If someone is in the US on a current non-expired J1 visa with 2-year home return requirement what happens to his status after marrying a US citizen? If I understand it correctly, he can't file for adjustment of status/permanent residency until a J1 waiver is obtained, but will he in the meantime loose his J1 status because of the marriage? And could he renew his J1 visa for an additional year or is that not possible any more after getting married (since J1 is supposed to be a non-immigration visa)? Any asvice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Emily Katherine Allen

4

Answered . Marriage itself doesn't violate the visa, but the intent to remain permanently in the U.S. does.

And no, you cannot apply for permanent residency through marriage unless (1) you return to your home country for the requisite two years, or (2) you obtain a waiver of the residency requirement (which is borderline impossible on some J's, like the Fulbright). I strongly encourage you to meet privately with an immigration attorney before you do anything so that you're sure to have accurate information. Do not take action on the basis of self-help or internet research.

2. Gen Kimura

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with Ms. Allen.