What happens to illegal immigrants if they have no state ID and can only provide a passport from their country of origin?

Tampa, FL |

Has been in the States for 12+ years. Has a passport from his country of origin - Mexico, but does not have a US ID or visa. No criminal record or otherwise. Has a child that was conceived and born in the united states. Has maintained a job for over 5 years in the same place but does not have a right to work card.

Any illegal immigrant can be removed for simple being illegal. If you are asking whether there is immigration relief available to someone in his situation, there might be. I suggest that you consult an immigration attorney regarding DACA.

What exactly is a CADA??

Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. Most people confuse it with the Dream Act although it isn't. It's for individuals that came here when they were young. It gives them an opportunity to stay for a period of two years without the fear of deportation. There are several qualifiers an that's why I suggested that you contact an attorney.

To do what? If they are here illegally, they can be removed. Not because they don't have the state i.d. Simply because they are here illegally. (Is this your question?)
Please clarify your question.

He was recently asked for identification when the police came into the house. He told them he only had his passport and did not have an ID so they said they would be back to check in a week if he had attained one. So I am trying to find out in his situation what can happen or be done.

Ji Min Kim

Ji Min Kim

I believe my colleagues already answered your question. Your friend should get a GED. Once he gets that taken care of, he can discuss with an attorney about DACA. GED first DACA second. Once DACA application is approved, he will be able to work legally.

Did he enter when he was less than 16? Is he less than 31? Did he finish HS, or get a GED?

If so, then he should meet with an attorney to discuss DACA.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

He entered when he was 12 years old, is in his mid twenties, but did not receive an education here.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

It's not too late for him to enroll in a GED program. Talk to an attorney about DACA.

I echo my colleagues´advice. Your friend should consult with an immigration attorney to explore his possibilities. He may very well be eligible for DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). It is not clear to me why he was visited at his home by the police. Were they local police officers. It is strange to me that an officer would tell him to go get an ID and that they would return..

Please note, the above answer is for general informational purposes only. We are a full-service immigration and criminal defense law firm, representing clients in all 50 states and worldwide. Kristy Figueroa-Contreras, Esq., kristy@negri-torres.com, NEGRI, TORRES & FIGUEROA-CONTRERAS, PA, The Minorca, Suite 214, 2030 South Douglas Road, Miami, FL 33134, Tel. (305) 639-8599. Hablamos español. Falamos português.