Skip to main content

What happens to illegal immigrants if they have no state ID and can only provide a passport from their country of origin?

Tampa, FL |

Has been in the States for 12+ years. Has a passport from his country of origin - Mexico, but does not have a US ID or visa. No criminal record or otherwise. Has a child that was conceived and born in the united states. Has maintained a job for over 5 years in the same place but does not have a right to work card.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Any illegal immigrant can be removed for simple being illegal. If you are asking whether there is immigration relief available to someone in his situation, there might be. I suggest that you consult an immigration attorney regarding DACA.

  2. To do what? If they are here illegally, they can be removed. Not because they don't have the state i.d. Simply because they are here illegally. (Is this your question?)
    Please clarify your question.

  3. Did he enter when he was less than 16? Is he less than 31? Did he finish HS, or get a GED?

    If so, then he should meet with an attorney to discuss DACA.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  4. I echo my colleagues´advice. Your friend should consult with an immigration attorney to explore his possibilities. He may very well be eligible for DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). It is not clear to me why he was visited at his home by the police. Were they local police officers. It is strange to me that an officer would tell him to go get an ID and that they would return..

    Please note, the above answer is for general informational purposes only. We are a full-service immigration and criminal defense law firm, representing clients in all 50 states and worldwide. Kristy Figueroa-Contreras, Esq.,, NEGRI, TORRES & FIGUEROA-CONTRERAS, PA, The Minorca, Suite 214, 2030 South Douglas Road, Miami, FL 33134, Tel. (305) 639-8599. Hablamos español. Falamos português.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics