What happens to child care costs after age 13?

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, OR

I am divorced and paying support, which includes child care costs. In reading the guidelines from the oregon child support calculator website, one document says enter child care costs..."as long as the child is under age 13 or is a child with disabilities." What happens when a child reaches 13? Does that mean I can take out child care costs from the computation of child support? Im not sure what happens after age 13 for child care costs. Thanks.

1. Diane L Gruber

Pro

1

Answered . Day care expenses cannot be used in the child support calculation after age 13 IF the child support is being recalculated.

2. Jay Bodzin

Answered . When a child is under age 13 or is legally disabled, then either parents' contribution to work-related day care expenses is factored in to child support calculations. Once a non-disabled child turns 13, though, they're deemed to not need day care anymore. Parents can still pay for day care, but those payments won't be included in the child support calculation. This page contains an application for computing child support amounts presumed correct under Oregon law: https://justice.oregon.gov/guidelines/

Please read the following notice: