Skip to main content

What happens or what to do next after i-130 approved letter is recived

Las Vegas, NV |

my wife send the i-130 to help to become a permanent resident and i just got the letter that says its been approved so i dont know if ill get a packeg or i really dont know whats next

Attorney Answers 3


The answer depends on whether your wife is a U.S. citizen or just permanent resident. If she is a citizen then you should have filed the I-485 at the same time as the I-130 and you would have been scheduled for an interview at the USCIS district office in LV and provided it all goes well, gotten your green card. (all this provided you were previously lawfully admitted to the U.S.) In case your wife is only a green card holder, then the I-130 was the first step, and you'll need to wait about 4 years until your priority date becomes current and you'll have an immediate immigrant visa number available to you .

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Are you eligible to adjust status in the US or do you have to process outside the us? The next step is based on the answer to that question.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment



im in the united state with an asylum case pending so while my asylum is pending im doing this other process (i-130) so they told that since im not lawful or anlawful in this country i can file the i-130


What you haven't stated is your location. That, in large part, controls what happens next. If you are outside the U.S., you process through the consulate. If you are in the U.S. pursuant to a lawful admission, you may be eligible to adjust status. Perhaps its time to retain counsel.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics