Skip to main content

What happens on violation of probation

Sacramento, CA |

My son was arrested because when his Probation Officer visited him at home, he found a small amount of alcohol in a flask. It was my son's roommate flask. He has been following all the PO's orders. He visits his PO regularly and doesn't drink or drive. His test results are always negative. What will happen in court?

Attorney Answers 3


Are you sure that the PO violated him on it? If so, the penalties can range depending on the PO's input, the Judge, the terms of sentencing of your son, etc. He should definitely have an attorney represent him on this matter.

Legal disclaimer: This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm.

Mark as helpful

1 comment

Philip Daniel Hache

Philip Daniel Hache


...ignore my first question since he was actually arrested....


Is roommate willing to testify that it was his? A lawyer will help you put together defenses and information surrounding this PO visit.

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with my colleagues that a) it depends, and b) you need a lawyer if there is a reported violation of probation.

Consequences can range from extending probation, fines, classes, to jail time, or the maximum of the penalty for which your son was put on probation. For example, for Felony DUI, that would be three years in prison.

Mark as helpful

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics