What happens next after receiving the defendant's counter claim/answer in divorce?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Reading, PA

I received my wife's counterclaim/answer in November 2012 for the divorce I filed in Feb 2012. I no longer have a lawyer. I haven't had a hearing at all. Is there a waiting period? Am I ever going to get divorced?

1. Randi Joy Silverman

9

Answered . Filing an Answer and Counterclaim does not result in the scheduling of a hearing. You need to have a divorce Master appointed to your case and he/she will schedule a conference and/or hearing. In some counties, you only need to pay an administrative fee and in other counties, you must presenta Motion before the court. Also, you may not be able to move your case forward at this time if you have not been separated for two years and you are unable to prove that your wife committed grounds for divorce. I would suggest that you consult with an attorney in your area to discuss the steps that need to be taken to finalize your case.