What happens in the 1st day of trial

Asked over 3 years ago - Houston, TX

What happens in what order and if something happens what to expect in my case affidavit has been sign saying he did it he has done his time already

1. Maria Alicia Lackey

Answered . Are you the victim of a criminal act? If so, the state's prosecuting attorney will review with you what to expect. Generally they also provide other victim's services. Depending on the type of case, the entire thing may happen in a few hours or it could take weeks.

Here is a link to victim's services information.
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/sta...

2. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . Assuming that you are the defendant, you should ask your lawyer these questions.

Assuming that you are the victim, and the prosecutor has not gone over this with you, the first thing that happens is that a jury is selected (most often; if the person elects, a judge can hear the case but that is unusual). After jury selection, the charge is read to the accused who enters a not guilty plea then the lawyers have the opportunity to make opening statements. Thereafter, the State calls witnesses and the defense cross examines. When the State rests, the defense has the opportunity to call witnesses.

If the person is not going to trial but is actually just going to court and enters a guilty plea, the person fills out paperworks advising him of his rights then appears before the judge to plead guilty and have the sentence accessed.

3. Lisa Shapiro

Answered . You may be misinformed about whether a case is already set for "trial" or whether it is just set for a court setting. I have many clients who assume that they are having a "trial setting" when we first start out - but all that happens to be is a communication problem. If you are the Defendant in the case, you should talk to your attorney about what will happen next. If you are the "victim" in the case, then you should call the Assistant District Attorney assigned to that court and ask them what the status of the case is and give them your information.