What happens in a will if my step mother acquires assets after the death of my father?

Kerrville, TX |

my father's will states that everything he had went to his wife and then upon her death i am to receive a third of what is left, but am not in my step mother's will. She lived 16 years after his death and has acquired assets such as inheritance. Am I entitled to a portion of what she acquired after his death since she never remarried?

Not at all likely. You would need to know the provisions of both Wills, among other things. The title to the assets will also matter, perhaps more than the terms of the Wills. You would likely benefit from a consultation with a probate attorney.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Unless your father's will created a trust, when he died, the only provision that was operative was the one leaving the property to his wife. At that point, it becomes her property solely which she can give, devise or bequeath as she chooses. If your father's will created a trust which dissolves on your step-mom's death, then the assets left in that trust go to the remainder beneficiaries of the trust. What she acquired after your father died is certainly not yours unless she leaves it to you in her will. I think you should bring both wills to an attorney to review.

There is no legal relationship created or implied by the exchange of message on this website. All statements are not to be construed as legal advice but as general guidance. In all cases, an attorney should be retained to review the full circumstances and deliver advice consistent with the information learned.

In Texas, assets acquired by inheritance are typically separate property of a spouse. It also sounds as if your stepmother inherited assets after your father passed away. Both wills should be reviewed by a probate attorney to properly answer your question, but it sounds like you will not be entitled to receive anything that your stepmother inherited unless she decides to leave it to you by her will or gift it to you before she dies.

John Zgourides
Web: www.zgourides.com

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Wills and estates topics