What happens in a fraud investigation in ca is this fraud what do i do

Asked about 1 year ago - Lake Elsinore, CA

I was in a domestic violance situation with my kids dad i went to apply for homeless assistance because i moved out do to it he lived on the same property as me but a differant house when i showed my worker the police report the cop had said he was living with me my worker said she was gonna investigate me for fraud

1. Neil Pedersen

1

Answered . First, it is really not a good idea to post anything related to a possible criminal claim against you. What you are seeking should really be kept extremely confidential, and a public internet site is not the place to be explaining what you did. Please, it is important that you not post any more about this.

Second, a fraud investigation, generally, will look into the specific facts of what you said, and what your living arrangements were. If you did not tell the absolute truth when procuring the government benefits, and telling the absolute truth would have changed the decision to extend those benefits to you, you will likely be charged with fraud, and at the very least, be ordered to return the money provided to you. Government benefit fraud can, in some instances, have greater consequences, like penalties, and perhaps loss of personal freedom.

You need to get to a legal aid clinic and speak with a lawyer about the specifics of your situation. Here is a link to a website that identifies many legal aid clinics. Hopefully one is in you area.

http://lawhelpca.org/

Good luck to you.

2. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

Answered . If there are element of misrepresentation to authorities you need to prove that what u said or wrote was truth.Use declarations from neighbors relatives or anybody that knows your situation and what happen. Cops make mistakes like everybody else. Also u are in an emotional post traumatic stress syndrome situation as a victim od Domestic Violence. You react as a "rabbit in front of the lights"
    Ask help from the DV legal aid unit in your area