What happens in a case when a default judgment is made against a liable defendant?

Asked 5 months ago - Jersey City, NJ

I am involved in a no fault case against a liable defendant who has not responded to the lawsuit my lawyer has filed. My lawyer informed me that it is a possibility that the lawsuit will get a default judgment. I'm not too sure if that will harm or help my case.

1. Michael L Pescatore

1

Answered . After default is entered, they will proceed to get a default judgement and levy on the Defendant's assets. Also, if defendant wishes to challenge, he could apply to the court to vacate the default and contest any claims in a lawsuit. Hire an attorney.

2. Raymond Andrew Grimes

Pro

Answered . you should be asking these questions to the attorney that you Hired.

3. Alexander D Fotopoulos

Answered . Your lawyer should do the research to see "which" insurance company insured the defendant and serve them accordingly. In most cases, there is no benefit to a "default judgment" because that may simply mean that the person doesn't care that they've been sued because they have no assets. If there is no insurance and the person has no assets, then you have a very nice piece of paper saying "you won".