What happens in a case when a default judgment is made against a liable defendant?

Jersey City, NJ |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I am involved in a no fault case against a liable defendant who has not responded to the lawsuit my lawyer has filed. My lawyer informed me that it is a possibility that the lawsuit will get a default judgment. I'm not too sure if that will harm or help my case.

After default is entered, they will proceed to get a default judgement and levy on the Defendant's assets. Also, if defendant wishes to challenge, he could apply to the court to vacate the default and contest any claims in a lawsuit. Hire an attorney.

Do NOT rely on this answer as the information provided here is not legal advice nor is it a substitute for legal advice which requires a consultation with a lawyer. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.

you should be asking these questions to the attorney that you Hired.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. There are always specific facts that are important for an attorney to review before providing advice to a Client. In no way should you rely on the response provided herein to conduct your legal affairs on your own. You should always hire an attorney before you rely on advice provided.

Your lawyer should do the research to see "which" insurance company insured the defendant and serve them accordingly. In most cases, there is no benefit to a "default judgment" because that may simply mean that the person doesn't care that they've been sued because they have no assets. If there is no insurance and the person has no assets, then you have a very nice piece of paper saying "you won".

This is not to be considered legal advice and is intended for educational/research purposes only. It does not constitute any kind of agreement for legal services between any parties. It is understood that the answers/consequences may change based on additional facts and/or circumstances not provided; and that the answers are solely to be used as general guidelines and research tools.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes