What happens if your probation is revoked?

Texarkana, TX |

Do you get the original sentence or can they impose a new one? For example if I received 6 months probation on a 60 day jail sentence and my probation is revoked will I have to serve the 60 days or can the court impose a new sentence?

1. You need to run an Avvo.com search for a criminal defense attorney right away if you are on notice that the court is looking at revoking your probation. A qualified attorney can negotiate your situation and perhaps keep you from getting revoked. Or the attorney can reduce any amount of time to be served. Better to hire an attorney now than to wait until the hot water is boiling all around you.

2. At or before your probation revocation hearing, you should have an opportunity to negotiate with the District Attorney for an agreed sentence. If you are not able to reach an agreement re; how to dispose of your case, the judge may impose a sentence up to 60 days, but not more than 60 days. Having an attorney is usually helpful in getting a fair deal from the DA.

3. At or before your probation revocation hearing, you should have an opportunity to negotiate with the District Attorney for an agreed sentence. If you are not able to reach an agreement re; how to dispose of your case, the judge may impose a sentence up to 60 days, but not more than 60 days. Having an attorney is usually helpful in getting a fair deal from the DA.