What happens if you use someone else's information to obtain a driver's license?

Stedman, NC |

My friend used his brother's information to get a driver's license. He recently went to NCDMV to get an ID card but was told he couldn't because he needed to speak to a detective regarding his picture being on his brother's driver's license. What are the possible charges and what can he do to clear this matter up without going to jail?

1. Your situation is too involved for an online answer.

Using the written documentation you have is a good place to begin. Contact a local lawyer - many may give you a short free consultation - to discuss your specifics. Far too many variables exist in the short post you wrote for any further observation by me. Many attorneys have information posted here on Avvo.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-choose-a-lawyer-for-you

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-tell-my-lawyer

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot see your documents. You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This observation is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. This observation is not like a communication with a lawyer with whom you have an attorney-client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides.

2. He needs a local criminal lawyer, pronto. What he did is a felony in NY (where I'm admitted). I don't know if it's a felony or a misdemeanor in NC, but it's definitely a crime. He committed fraud, submitted false documents, lied to the State, etc. He may wind up going to jail.

His brother is in trouble, too, for giving his info to his brother, or for letting him use it. He also needs a criminal lawyer.

DISCLAIMER - THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. THIS IS FOR GENERAL INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, AND DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.