Skip to main content

What happens if you lie on a police report about a car accident?

San Jose, CA |

My friend was driving my cousins car with out a license and insurance. She got into an accident that was her fault and her and my cousin switched seats so it looked like my cousin was driving. They both lied on the police report. What can happen to them?

Attorney Answers 4


There is a potential for prosecution on charges of making a false official report or insurance fraud, and there can be civil consequences such as a suit for damages or cancellation of insurance if the false statements are viewed as intended to affect insurance coverage for the collision.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Mark as helpful


Your cousin and your friend could both be prosecuted for filing a false police report, filing a false insurance claim and a slew of other things that would be determined by the facts of the accident and what followed after. I recommend they consult with a criminal defense attorney to see how they should go about correcting this situation.

"If you found my answer helpful, I would appreciate your "clicking" on the up-arrow to show your approval." CONSUMER BEWARE: Until you have retained this office, no attorney-client relationship exists between Sariol Legal Center (SLC), Frank R. Sariol, or any attorney employed by SLC, and yourself. Therefore anything that is stated in an email to you (irrespective of who initiated that email) cannot be relied upon as a legal advice upon which you should act. If you have contacted this office regarding a civil claim, be on NOTICE that every civil claim has certain time restrictions applicable to it and if you do not act within that time frame your right to proceed may be lost FOREVER.

Mark as helpful


Can face criminal liability, thus, search Avvo for a criminal lawyer in your city, and call to discuss.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Both parties could face criminal charges resulting from this matter, and each should consult with an attorney to ensure that their interests are protected, and to plan for contingencie. If questioned about this matter by the police, both parties should invoke their right to remain silent and immediately request to speak to an attorney. Having an attorney at the earliest possible stage of a potential charge like this is criticial to a favorable outcome.

This answer provides general information and, apart from the encouragement to hire an attorney, is not intended to be relied upon as legal advice. You should always seek the help of an attorney who can provide accurate, reliable, legal advice after reviewing the specific facts of your issue.

Mark as helpful

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics