Skip to main content

What happens if you go into arrears with child support payments?

Lafayette, LA |

my workers comepensation checks have stopped and im under the doctors care what can i do?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. You need to go to Court and have the support judgment modified if your circumstances have changed. Illness or injury can be considered a change in earning capacity and the Court can modify the support award.

    Be very careful however, if the other parent takes you to Court you are still on the hook for support payments and possibly attorney fees and court costs.

    Do all that you can to document your illness and make sure the other parent knows what is going on.

    Good Luck

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics