What happens if you get arrested for pot while on cond. discharge? I got arrested for pot, pipes and open container.

Chester, NJ |

Just passed my drug test for conditional discharge, I cant afford to loose my license

1. Nothing good. You are at serious risk of jail and conviction when you pick up new criminal charges while under an order to stay out of trouble with a stayed adjudication deal. For the best chance of avoiding conviction and incarceration, hire a defense lawyer.

I hope what I've written here helps you, but remember, this answer isn't legal advice and doesn't establish an attorney/client relationship between us. To get actual legal advice, you need to speak to a criminal defense attorney.

2. I am not a practicing attorney in New Jersey, yet, generally, any criminal arrest with several criminal charges immediately places the prior criminal disposition in jeopardy, potentially creating much more serious legal issues that losing a license.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

3. You now have two charges. You will flunk out of the CD and have that charge to deal with as well as the new charge. Figure another $1300 or so on the new charge and another $500 or so on the firsrt You can argue a hardship to try to save your license. it may not work. You may want to have an experienced criminal defense attorney ewvalate the cases to see if there is another way out.

4. You are facing being sentenced now for the original charge (the one for which you you received the CD) as well as the new charge. You are facing jail time as well as loss of your license. Your only hope is to hire an attorney who can find a basis to challenge the new arrest and get the charges dismissed.

This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

5. Most likely your cd will be terminated and you will have to go back to court. If you are convicted of either charge, your license will be suspended. If you are convicted of both, you could have a very long suspension. You need to hire a lawyer for both cases now. A private lawyer can coordinate between the two courts. The public defenders cannot.

6. You will now face the original charge and will also face the new charge. You will be terminated from the conditional discharge program.

7. the other attorneys are correct. Your only shot is getting an attorney to represent you. What town was the conditional discharge and the subsequent offense?

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. There are always specific facts that are important for an attorney to review before providing advice to a Client. In no way should you rely on the response provided herein to conduct your legal affairs on your own. You should always hire an attorney before you rely on advice provided.

8. You were smart to reach out for help.

If you cannot afford to lose your license then you cannot afford to go in by yourself without an attorney.

Why were you stopped in the first place? One of the best ways to beat these charges is to challenge the legality of the officer's stop.

Do you require your license for work? It may be possible for you to keep your license.

Until retained, this answer does not constitute legal advice, as it is based on extremely limited information.