What happens if you get 3 dui's in 2 years??

Asked about 5 years ago - Rochelle, GA

My father got another dui yesterday this makes the 3rd one in 2 years we live in georgia and i wanna know what will happen

1. Lance Warren Tyler

Answered . A third DUI in ten years has a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 days to serve, 240 hours community service, $1,000 fine (up to $5,000). Conviction will result in a five-year revocation of his license, but he may apply for a probationary license after two years. There are additional requirements, including ignition interlock and clinical treatment and evaluation. As the out of state attorneys above mentioned, you should have him contact a local DUI defense attorney. Most of us offer free initial consultations.

2. Victoria Marie Mussallem

Answered . First thing-contact a DUI attorney in your area. I am a DUI attorney in Jacksonville, Florida, but the laws are similar. When you get arrested for a third DUI in Florida, there are certain minimum mandatory conditions, such as 30 days in jail. There could be severe consequences to your driver's license also.

This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

3. Howard Woodley Bailey

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleague that the DUI laws of each State have certain similarities, especially when you get to a third offense in such a short time period. Your father needs to get legal advice immediately, as the penalties for a third offense here in NJ and the other States with which I am familiar include a mandatory jail sentence, and a very long license suspension (here in NJ it is 10 years). Check out the Avvo listings of GA defense lawyers for leads and get your father calling them before he goes to Court or makes any decisions about how to resolve this case. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER I do not practice law in your State. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

4. Edward Jerome Blum

Answered . I don't practice in GA. There are significantly more serious consequences to each subsequent DUI. The closer in time the DUIs are, the more serious the prosecutor will punish you. Because they are so close in time he probably also faces punishment for two probation violations. On the other hand, the closer in time they are the more easily a lawyer can argue that your dad has a serious addiction problem and try to get him into a residential treatment program instead of jail.

Edward J. Blum