What happens if you don't pay your restitution after being accused of shoplifting at walmart?

Asked over 2 years ago - Ruston, LA

I was caught shopplifting at walmart. On my way out the store, I was stopped by an LP and asked to follow them back into the store. They took me to a security room and asked for the merchandise that wasn't paid for. The merchandise totaled $34. I did go ahead and pay for the merchandise. The police were called and i received a ticket and a court date. What will happen in court? How much will my fine be?

1. Benjamin J Lieberman

Answered . Your ticket from court is probably charging you with a crimi al offense. As such your concerns should be more than just a fine. If found guilty you may have a crimi al record and that can have some serious consequences. Don't try to navigate the crimi al justice system alone. Get a lawyer to assist you. S/he may very well be able to negotiate a favorable disposition for you that won't haunt you. You will probably also receive a letter from a lawyer or collection agency on behalf of walmart demanding that you pay them money. I generally advise clients to ignore these civil demand letters. You don't owe them anything. In order for you to owe them something they would have to sue you, (in some jurisdictions prove damages which they most likely couldn't do), and win. Even if they could win, the cost of pursuing this is substantially greater than any amount they can possibly recover so they usually don't. They send out these letters because it doesn't cost much and they are hoping that you don't know better and simply send them the money. Nothing will happen to you if you don't pay it and it will have no bearing on the criminal case on way or another.