What happens if you don't change your address with immigration?

Asked 9 months ago - Boston, MA

Especially involving an I-751 waiver. I moved out when my ex and I separated. But I did not change the address. We divorced 6 months after separation. Immigration may think that's when I moved out and also separated. My ex said she reported me to immigration for "marriage fraud" and I believe she also reported when we truly split up, which was 7 months after marriage but I claimed that we separated later than that. Now in my interview, are they going to ask me when I truly moved out? I never changed my address with immigration until I applied for I-751 waiver. Because they may see that my ex's and my story of when I moved out/separated don't match. Will I be criticized for that?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Of course. You need to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Please see

    Mr. Shusterman's response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should... more
  2. Gregory Romanovsky

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Multiple variations of this question have been posted on this forum in the last few weeks. You really need a lawyer to help you with this case. That is if you want to stay in the U.S., of course.

  3. Aneliya M. Angelova


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Make sure you tell the truth. If you don't have a lawyer, it is time to hire one now. Good luck!

    This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,996 answers this week

3,206 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,996 answers this week

3,206 attorneys answering