What happens if you do not pay a Wal-Mart for civil damages, that might of happen though shoplifting?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My child was apparently caught shoplifting at a Wal-Mart. He was a minor and it was his first offense ever. We were sent a letter say "you are liable for civil damages in the amount of $150, due by..." I called the number they provided, asking about the situation. I wasn't able to release him from the store (working), so I couldn't ask questions. He said they threaten him, saying "if you don't give us the right information, we'll send out a warrant for your arrest." (Gave correct address and phone number) He had a friend (also a minor) release him, So I wasn't aware of what actually happened. Police weren't called, so criminal charges weren't filed. I've tried contacting the Wal-Mart store, but I couldn't get an answer on what happened.

1. Stephen Andrew Hamer

1

Answered . I'm confused about what actually happened (as I think you are as well). This is most likely a CIVIL DEMAND. It has NOTHING to do with any criminal charges. You could be sued for the money... BUT the cost of them filing a lawsuit against you makes it very unlikely that they will pursue this. This is a tactic they use to get money from people who are easily frightened. If you cannot afford it, you can ignore them.
    If you fear criminal charges may be brought, or if they ARE brought... call some criminal defense attorneys. I advise you and your son to not call Walmart, and not talk to anyone about this (except for a criminal defense attorney).