What happens if you accidentally damage property in a bar/nightclub, but are not given a summons?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Rutherford, NJ

I gave my information to the officer and he then gave it to the club. I, however, was not given any information in return.

Additional information

A bouncer assured me that I should be fine and that having the police involved was for insurance reasons.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Erik Anderson


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . IIt is unclear what you are asking. If the question is can anything happen to you? The answer is yes, you could be sued by the club for the damage you caused (it's another question whether you are at fault as you said the damage was due to an accident). Also, depending on how long ago the incident ocurred, the police could still issue a summons.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that this post is not intended to constitute legal advice and is for informational... more
  2. John George Ducey

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Nothing, unless you are sued or get a summons in the mail.

  3. Kathryn Ann Gilbert

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You can be sued for payment for the property damage from the bar even if you are not charged criminally.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,976 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,976 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering