What happens if the wrong person was served papers?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Santa Maria, CA

papers supposed to be served to me were served to my friend who was house sitting

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Elizabeth Jones


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Then it is ineffective personal service. The process server is supposed to confirm the identity of the person served. However, if you want the dissolution, then you should advise the person whose name is in the caption of what happened sothat you can be properly served.

  2. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Do NOT assume that this is not good service; if the process server made several attempts, "substitute service" can be made in California at your home address by serving any adult person "in charge of the premises" and then mailing a copy to you at that address.

    You should get the papers, and do what you need to do to respond.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,676 answers this week

2,692 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,676 answers this week

2,692 attorneys answering