What happens if the visa date in the passport and the I-94 departure date differ? Which date takes preference?

Asked over 1 year ago - Glendale, AZ

Visa date has expired but I-94 departure date still has a year remaining. Will the passport holder become undocumented and out of status? Will they face being barred from the U.S.A. for three or ten years depending on length of "Overstay" in terms of the visa if they leave before the date stipulated by I-94 departure date? Holder is an H-4 holder but turned 21. I-94 was officially issued and no -one from U.S.C.I.S. has challenged or contacted the recipient about the discrepancy. If said person attempts to leave before the I-94 and is barred, can said person challenge the bar given that person is leaving before stipulated time? Would this affect family members who are in status and are attempting to apply for Permanent Residence?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . The visa controls only your ability to leave the U.S. and then return. If it has expired, then you would need to obtain a new visa if you leave the U.S. and wish to return in the same status. The I-94 Arrival-Department controls your legal status while you are present in the U.S.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

4

Answered . A minor under the age of 18 does not accrue unlawful presence for purposes of the three and ten year bars until the day after her 18th birthday. The I-94 card states the period of your authorized stay in the U.S. If you believe you were given time beyond 21 years in H-4 status, you may want to talk to an immigration attorney and seek advise on how to proceed.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . In most cases the I-94 controls.

You have identified an exception to that rule ... when a person on H-4 turns 21.

Yes, they are out of status. But, it is debatable as to whether or not they are accruing unlawful presence.

Meet with an immigration attorney for personal guidance.