What happens if the police don't read me my rights?

Cleveland, OH |

I was held for questioning at the police station, and none of the officers read me any of my rights. Is this a good thing for my case?

If you were in custody, and were not advised of your right to remain silent, it may mean the statement you made cannot be used against you. If you did not make a statement, then there would be nothing to suppress. The first question for the court will be whether or not you were in custody. This is a complex situation, you will need a lawyer who can review the specific facts and advise you on the case.

This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case. I am licensed to practice in Minnesota, not every state. You should always consult with an attorney licensed in your area on how best to proceed.

Timothy Edward O'Laughlin

Timothy Edward O'Laughlin

If you didn't say anything incriminating, then it is meaningless. Miranda protects against coerced confessions, so unless you said something against your own interest, you may be okay. The general rule is that you should never make a statement to police, no matter how innocent you are ... cops write things down incorrectly all the time.

Here's a video that explains the Miranda rights situation in detail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=somd5NYscSw

Dan J. Weisenburger
Attorney at Law

www.OhioCrimeLawyer.com

Honestly, it just means they haven't arrested you yet, probably not enough evidence yet. Don't have the facts to say, but you don't have to talk to the police. If they let you go and you did it, don't say anything. Next time they have you in for questioning, if they do, tell them you know your rights and unless your under arrest tell them you are not going to talk to them, tell them either arrest me or you"re leaving.

Police question you to build a case against you. Keep your mouth shut. The police can lie to you, if you know you're innocent tell them there is noting to talk about and ask to leave. Then you'll know if your under arrest. There trying to give you enough rope to hang yourself. If you told them a story they are going to check it out. Don't talk to them. Tell them you want to leave.

Find a lawyer to be able to call, better yet get a criminal defense attorney's card just in case.