What happens if the petitioner in my domestic violence case does NOT show up to court?

Asked about 4 years ago - Ocala, FL

The petitioner filed an injunction against me, for what I believe was just to scare me. I am currently on probation and do not want to violate for something I did not do. The petitioner is NOT going to show up, what happens then?

1. Michelle Anne Beane Kane

Pro

Answered . If the Petitioner does not show up for the evidentiary hearing and you do, then the judge will only hear your side of the case, and chances will be that no injunction will be entered against you. Don't count on the Petioner not showing up because they most likely will if they want a permanent injunction issued. Make sure you show up on time and be willing to tell you side of the story.

2. Ayuban Antonio Tomas

Pro

Answered . If the petitioner does not show up, in all likelihood the judge will drop the case.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.