What happens if the other party doesn't give the right items when exchanging the items after court's decision?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bowie, MD

I had left many valuables behind with my ex, which have been ordered to be given back to me. I am afraid my ex won't give me the right items, and will give me other fake and cheaper items. What can I do if that happens at the time of the exchange? I would like to know what actions I can take at that point to protect myself? The case is already closed, and it's been a struggle to get them to commit to a date for the exchange. I am 99.9% sure that my ex will still try to cheat me during the exchange.

1. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

Answered . This is a sore spot with judges, because it is difficult to prove and difficult to enforce. If you are cheated, then file a motion and ask the judge to order the other party to pay you compensation for your loss. Hopefully, your divorce documents provide that the court has jurisdiction and authority to enforce this executory part of your divorce judgment.